LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT US:
The PlanetSnow website is a general, cross-industry resource for everything to do with skiing, snowboarding and mountain sports in general. Intended, as far is possible as a free resource, the site will have three main functions:
1. The site will be a resource for editors seeking copyright-free copy and photography on specific resorts, snow topics etc. By the same token, it will be a place where resorts, tour operators and equipment manufacturers can post information, press releases and copy about their product or service.
2. It will be a snow industry and snow user resource for information such as weather and snow reports, flight information etc.
3. It will have a general 'magazine' function for ordinary skiers and snowboarders seeking up-to-date reading, information and blogs on particular resorts, products etc. and a vehicle through which they can voice their own input on the industry's products and services. There will be real-time SMS and email information resources into which users can tap to enhance their snow experience.
Whilst PlanetSnow will be owned and monitored by the site operators, the site should largely feel for both the industry and the ordinary user, as a drop-in site where they are as welcome as contributors as they are as users. This website is UK based but its audience will be global. Because it is intended largely as a free resource, PlanetSnow's budget is limited.
HERE IS WHAT WE NEED:
There's no scope in Crowdspring to mix the brief - it's either Logo or Web. Primarily, we need a PlanetSnow LOGO that carries at least some of the message about what PlanetSnow is all about.
Of course, that logo has to sit in a WEB PAGE HEADER so we also need an overall look and feel that carries right through the site so that regardless of the page, regardless of the page template, you know you're still on PlanetSnow. In other words, the logo is all very well but it has to sit in the context of a website page header. Bear in mind that the logo will also have to be used in smaller buttons and banners for placement on other referring websites.
Once we've got this logo/page header sorted we can extend the work to navigation buttons, radio buttons, page templates etc but what we need in the early stages is the front-facing icon that defines PlanetSnow.
OUR TARGET AUDIENCE IS:
In no particular order:
1. Publishers, newspapers etc who need fast access to up-to-date information and copy on and photographs of winter sports.
2. Skiers, snowboarders, wintersports holiday makers; anybody with an interest in snow and travelling to the mountains.
3. The Snow Industry: Resorts, Tour Operators, Equipment Manufacturers
Winter sports, skiing and particularly snowboarding are young sports and even the people who have worked in the industry for decades have a very youthful outlook so although the age range we're addressing is unusually broad, the mindset of these people is usually a bit unkempt. We're talking about everybody from Philadelphia lawyers to folk who have duct tape holding their pants up. These are sometimes the same people.
WE LIKE THESE DESIGNS:
We like the feel of these sites. Teton are quite a young company, K2 have been around since the dawn of time and their logos reflect that. Their sites give a clear message, however, about the market they're addressing. If K2 could change their corny logo they probably would.
Fun but with a certain substance and gravitas
Also http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp, relatively good presentation of news items.
These are quite dark sites in terms of the page background; here's another site that we quite like because it's light and fresh:
WE ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE (or we don't want to see) THIS IN OUR DESIGN:
No rules about must have - over to you for the creativity but take a look at this:
This is the Ski Club of Great Britain's website.
As they say in Glasgow, it's boggin'.
If you like this then all we can say is, you must be the designer's dad.
No Files Added