About Your Company
We are a boutique personal care products producer and identify areas for innovation and optimization at the margin. We aim for cumulative 5x better performance in each product than leading brands at competitive pricing.
We are currently reimagining the sleep eye mask. We want to create a sleep eye mask that resolves several major problems with existing masks. Most masks are petroleum foam-based, break within 1 year, and just aren't elegantly designed. We're aiming for both beautiful form and strong function that brings consciousness to enduring problem areas identified by user data.
We are targeting adults, particularly professionals, travelers, and the health and wellness crowd.
Mask: ~23cm wide, ~8cm tall
Mask eye cavities: 1-2cm off eyes
Strap: highly adjustable, ~34cm at longest setting
We are aiming for CE.
Leading sleep mask competitor
Amazon leader in silk sleep masks, with nose baffle
Product will be sold as a one-time fee. No tiered pricing. Pricing will be around $40-$60.
Colors to Explore
Top 3 Things
Quality, Simplicity, Minimalism, Subtle Revolution
Core problems to solve:
- Mask: 1) What textile other than petroleum-based foam would work as the mask? 2) The eye parts of the mask need to be convex and contoured, remaining off the eye so that blinking is unimpeded. 3) As the strap pulls on the mask, the mask should be structurally strong enough to not deform upon the face. 4) The nose baffle (if any) should be minimal but effective in preventing light given different shaped noses. If the mask can be designed without a nose baffle, that would be ideal. 5) We believe we can leverage 3D weaving of fabric and/or origami folding plus sewing to create a better mask.
- Strap: 1) Is there an alternative to elastic straps with velcro? We are particularly interested in other types of adjustable-length clasps that remain "flat" against the head. 2) Would a strap designed like a VR headstrap be more resistant to slipping on the head? 3) We want to avoid strap contact with the upper ear.
Pros / Embrace / Winning:
- Durable, washable
- Mask fabric: very soft
- Adjustable size with non-velcro fastening clips
- Black/gray dye should not bleed or fade when washed
- Moisture wicking mask (like Gore-Tex)
- Odor-resistant (so not polyester)
- High-performance, plant-based textiles
Cons / Avoid / Losing:
- Petroleum-based textiles (though open to a memory foam, potentially)
- Strap that gets caught in hair
- Laminate construction of mask (too weak)
1) Origami has innovative ways to create "cups" that might be inspiring for the construction of the eye cavities. See images.
2) suavshoes.com has examples of 3D-weaved shoes that may have stiff/rigid enough construction for creating a sleep mask.
3) We would like the mask to be black with dark gray honeycomb hexagons. See image (note that hexagons are too light in this image).