Sam Kearns - Author
What do you do?
I am a professional author of exciting fantasy fiction. I write novels, short stories, lyrics, rants, blogs and anything else that comes to mind. The Power Inflicted is my major project.
How many pages of print design do you need?
I need a front cover design and a matching back cover design.
List the size requirement(s) for your print design
Approx 19.4 x 12.8 cm
What is your industry?
Creative writing; epic fantasy genre.
Describe the target audience for your print design
The novel is targeted towards fantasy enthusiasts of either gender, age between 16-25.
What 3 things would you like to communicate to your audience through your print design?
- The novel is set in a lush, tropical setting. Therefore the cover has to communicate this setting effectively.
- The novel has to relate to epic fantasy in style and positioning. Therefore the fantasy aspect of the novel has to be conveyed in the image. In particular, the Aura described in the novel has to be present in the design.
- The Power Inflicted is a human story with human characters; the protagonist,Parus, must be present in the design. His companion, Tantha, would also be a welcome addition.
Attached to the project is the first chapter of The Power Inflicted. The design should be based around that chapter, particularly the closing events.
Style and Concept
What print design styles do you like?
The following book cover makes great use of open space.
This cover portrays a tropical setting whilst keeping a mystical feel.
What colors do you want to see in your print design?
There is likely to be a strong blue palette in the design; to reflect the use of water in the novel, the tropical setting, and the fact that the cover scene takes place at night, on a beach. The Aura has a ethereal, aura borealis shimmer.
What colors do you NOT want to see in your print design?
I am open to interpretation here; however, the colour scheme has to correlate to the sample chapter.
What adjectives should best describe your print design?
Mystical, serene, magical, tremendous, awe-inspiring. There should be the feeling that this is the beginning of something life changing for the characters.
How will you use the print design?
The print design will be used as the front and back cover for The Power Inflicted. It can also be converted into posters or other promotional material.
What content must be included in the print design?
To complete the design, it is ESSENTIAL for the designer to read the attached chapter. Ideally, I would like the design to reflect the concluding moment of the chapter. Reading the full chapter will not take long, and will provide a basis for theme, imagery and character design.
The design has to include:
- The tropical setting. It can include the moonlit beach and the distant mountain.
- The characters, Parus and Tantha, looking out to sea. Alternatively, you can use Parus in a way that suits your creativity; in the bounds of the first chapter.
- The Aura. This is essential.
No Files Added