Steven A. Tolle
This is a young adult sword and magic fantasy story. It is the first book in a planned trilogy.
Jake Thomas, a normal teenage boy (17-18), is suddenly and magically transported to another world. He has no clue on how or why he was brought there or how to get home. As he attempts to find out those answers, he is rescued by an enigmatic warrior, befriended by magic-wielding clerics, and encounters a beautiful princess. However, Jake also discovers that danger lurks all around him as demons exist on this world - and they want him!
Trim size: 6" x 9",
Page count: 431,
Interior type: Black and White,
Page color: White,
Spine width: 0.971"
Who are your readers?
The story is a sword and magic-type fantasy, written for young adults (16+), but in my test readings, it has appeal to older adults as well.
What 3 things would you like to communicate to your readers with this design?
1) Generate interest in the content
2) Simplicity and a clean feel
3) A clash of the modern and the medieval.
I am looking to convey Jake's "fish-out-of water' transition from our modern world to one that is a swords and sorcery type.
Style and Content
What colors do you want to see in your design?
I am open to all colors - black, blue, green, red, yellow, brown, purple.
What colors do you NOT want to see in your design?
Bright garish colors, pink,
Describe the style(s) you like (traditional, modern, etc.)
I like the covers of many of the Terry Brooks novels, the Hunger Games series, Veronica Roth.
I had several concepts that jumped out at me, but I thought that Jake's phone, ubiquitous in today's age, but useless in the other world, is a symbol of his separation from all that he knew.:
1. Jake is standing on the road in the hills overlooking the valley and the capital city. He is in sweats with a hoodie, thrown back, and tennis shoes. He has earbuds in, the wire leading to a phone in his hand. The Gray Ridge mountains are on the far side of the valley, with blue sky above. The center is brightly colored, but the edges are darker. The trees next to Jake get darker, with a demon semi-hidden behind the trees, looking at Jake.
2. Jake is standing in a forest clearing He is in sweats with a hoodie, thrown back, and tennis shoes. He has earbuds in, the wire leading to a phone in his hand. In front of him, a warrior is on a rearing horse. The horse is armored and the warrior has a sword.
3. A chair or bed in a small room with Jake's hoodie and phone recognizable, but a swordbelt and breastplate nearby.
4. A simple design with the juxtaposition of the phone and a sword.
I am open to any concept that will convey Jake's predicament. Surprise me!
What content must be included in your design?
Front page - Title and subtitle of book, Author name
Spine - Title of book, Author's last name
Back page - Back cover copy of book (provided) Space for ISDN : Please leave space for a 2" by 1.2" white box in the lower right-hand corner of the book's back cover for the ISBN barcode. Images or text in the barcode location will be covered when the book is printed.
No Files Added