What does your company do?
We are an online custom cup-cake shop. Our small cakes are fully customizable online by the user so you can send fun, imaginative and beautiful greetings in delicious cupcakes. They will be packaged in a box of 12 (min order) and the color of the label on the box and the label can be selected by the user as well. The packaging and presentation is as important as the cakes.
We are an alternative to the usual selection of flowers, cards and other gifts.
We are in an overseas market (Asia) where the cupcake boom has not taken off yet in the same way it has in the U.S. or Europe. Specifically our business is different here because:
1. You can order online. Full click and pay functionality.
2. The user can customize them online. Want to spell out someone's name, send a message of love, sympathy, anger or admiration? You can write or send whatever message you like using letters, numbers and a selection of emoticons and other items. This function is all online and you can see your creation on the screen as you write it.
3. Same day or next day delivery
4. Our cupcakes are square, not round (we want to differentiate ourselves further and also protect ourselves a bit should the "cupcake bubble" bite).
5. Most cupcakes companies in Asia make creamy, sweet and nostalgic cakes, not really suitable for the adult market. Kids love them but we want to produce a more sophisticated cake that has style, class and taste. It will be a modern interpretation on the classic cupcake. For example, we will do some with alcohol and we may use Asian flavors such as lemongrass or Green Tea.
6. We will be a bi-lingual website (English + local langguage).
7. Finally, it is not a differentiating factor per se but all of our ingredients will be the absolute best. It will be fresh and seasonal and we won't compromise on anything, even if it means importing the best French butter or fruit, for example. Everything will be natural, no artificial flavorings, colors, preservatives etc.
Do you require that a .COM or other URL be available for the new name?
We would really like a .com URL if it's available.
What is your industry?
Online Custom Cakes
Describe your customers
We have 2 sorts of customers:
(1) Direct to Consumers. People will order online for birthdays, special occasions, festive events etc. Our product will be a fun and delicious alternative to cards, flowers and other gifts.
Our customers will be a mixture of affluent locals and expatatirates. Typically they will be youngish consumers (20-40) from a professional background.
Our product pricing will be pitched at the upper-mid level. We are not going to be crazy expensive, pretentious or elitist but we will be an aspirational product for many here. A single cake will be US$4 (approx.)
(2) Corporate & Special Orders. A large part of our market will also be doing large custom orders for weddings, corporates (predominantly high-end fashion launches, investment banks, consulting firms and big parties). Our market is dominated by corporates in banking, real estate, hospitality and professional services.
What 3 things do you want your company name to communicate to your customers?
1. That you can send fun custom messages in delicious cakes, stylishly packaged.
2. That our cake is square/cubed
3. We deliver direct to you or your friends / loved one.
List the names of your top three competitors
(1) In the small cake sector, the market leader for this product is www.sprinkles.com. They have a very nice interface for ordering custom cupcakes.
(2) Another successful custom gift company is www.moonpig.com. You can create really fun custom cards and ideas here. We really like the interface for seeing the finished product as you create it but the style of the site is not what we will head towards. They are too fun and crazy for us.
3. Konditor and Cook (U.K.) created the "Magic Cake" which is a cubed cake, similar to the style we will be doing. It is viewable here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/konditor/49...
Style and Concept
What character, tenor, or spirit do you wish to convey?
Fun and engaging but not frivolous. It should not be "Cutesy".
The best example of a name/brand we love is www.luxecityguides.com - we want to be fun yet sophisticated with some glamour.
It should however not be pretentious or elitist
If we can also convey something of the superb quality of the cakes and the love and care that goes into them that would be good.
Are there any words or phrases you especially like or hate?
We don't want any words related to Asia.
We quite like clever puns e.g. "Flour Arrangements" but don't see this as our overall name, perhaps a strap line beneath our main name.
We like "The Square Cake Company" - it's on our shortlist.
Do you have other info you want to share?
Attached is a list of words that we have been thinking about. They relate to (a) sending a message, (b) the square shape, (c) words / writing (d) personalisation.
No Files Added