What does your company do?
No Borders offers an online outsourcing platform for freelancers on opposing sides of a conflict and provides opportunities for those involved to set aside hostility in pursuit of mutual social and economic gain. The platform allows governments, non-governmental organizations and corporate entities to post projects online via a secure e-commerce platform with management features that allow them to assign tasks, establish milestones, and monitor the progress of their current projects from anywhere in the world. Suppliers and contractors can bid on these sponsored projects by forming collaborative teams consisting of professionals from both sides of any given conflict. The resulting team must remain united for the entire duration of the project in order to receive payment for their services. Throughout the course of each project, No Borders will conduct identity and diversity audits of the teams that were awarded the contract to ensure the integrity and progressive nature of the platform is maintained.
No Borders is pioneering a new field at the intersection of impact sourcing, online freelance employment and conflict resolution. Impact sourcing entails outsourcing that yields a positive benefit to society, such as hiring workers from the base of the pyramid (e.g., Samasource, Jana). The online employment industry is a $99 billion market experiencing rapid growth large players such as oDesk have seen their revenues double every year for the past 5 years. No Borders will leverage the momentum of each of these emerging fields to accelerate positive economic and social change while reducing hostility in conflict zones.
Do you require that a .COM or other URL be available for the new name?
Will be a .COM or .ORG
What is your industry?
Describe your customers
Multi-lateral development organizations (e.g., World Bank, Asian Development Bank, United Nations), donors (e.g., USAID, UK Department for International Development), large corporations (e.g., Google, Cisco, Microsoft, Intel), governments, and non-profits (e.g., Oxfam)
What 3 things do you want your company name to communicate to your customers?
1. Our mission: No Borders seeks to reduce hostility in conflict zones and advance the fulfillment of economic and political human rights by generating mutually beneficial professional relationships across opposing sides of conflicts.
2. The problem: With 396 conflicts worldwide including 18 wars, 25 limited wars and 43 highly-violent conflicts 2012 was the most violent year on record; the cost of this (and other related) violence has been estimated at over $8T per annum. Moreover, no low-income country affected by conflict has achieved even one Millennium Development Goal. Countries affected by violence account for the vast majority of basic human rights underfulfillment, e.g., 61% of the poor, 77% of children not in primary school, 71% of child deaths (under the age of 5). Finally, unemployment is a the biggest driver of participation in gangs/rebel groups: 40-46% of young people joining rebel or gang groups do so because of unemployment/idleness.
3. Our philosophy and approach: No Borders subscribes to the notion that fostering economic opportunity, interdependence and enabling collaboration erodes the incentives and propensity for war. The No Borders business model presents a sustainable approach to addressing the worldwide deprivation of basic human rights, both political and economic. The team will create an online outsourcing platform that leverages the collaborative, cost-effective nature of the internet and digital commerce to allow employers to build the ideal teams for their projects while simultaneously promoting social unity for mutual benefit. The cloud platform will encourage service providers from opposing sides of conflict zones to collaborate and compete as teams for projects posted by employers, forming productive team relationships through financial incentives to resolve conflict over time and promote economic progress.
List the names of your top three competitors
There are no direct competitors.
1. Largest players in online freelance employment: oDesk, Elance
2. Largest player in impact sourcing: Samasource
Style and Concept
What character, tenor, or spirit do you wish to convey?
This is a social enterprise, or profit-with-purpose organization. We do not wish to be perpetually fund-raising, so our model is designed to be financially self-sustainable while accelerating positive social and economic change in conflict zones. The tenor of the organization is to get people to move beyond their differences to collaborate and work together.
Are there any words or phrases you especially like or hate?
Like: accord, alliance, collaboration, unity, cooperation, exchange, impact, interdependence, partners, rights, sourcing, teams, together, trade, trust, unity
No Borders is the name of the organization today. We are trying to see if we can develop another name that is clear, simple, and communicates what we do. Since 80% of conflicts are within nation states, rather than across national borders, and since many organizations have 'borders' in their name, we'd like to consider other names.
Do you have other info you want to share?
1. The pilot for this project will entail building the website and e-commerce platform with Yazam Software, which already brings together teams of Israeli and Palestinian software developers. After achieving proof of concept, we will explore replicating the model in other conflict zones.
2. We have partnered with Singularity University, which is helping to incubate this project.
No Files Added