Happy Social Media Day, everyone! Who’s ready to party like a minor MySpace celebrity circa 2004?
In all seriousness though, it’s a day worth observing. Launched in 2010 by Mashable, the digital holiday was all about acknowledging what has since become a nearly ubiquitous part of our daily lives. As Mashable explained way back then:
Social media has changed our lives. It has not only changed the way we communicate, but the way we connect with one another, consume our news, conduct our work, organize our lives, and much more. So why not celebrate?
Since then, the holiday has grown, with great emphasis put on how social media has contributed to social movements, education, and entertainment. There are meetups across the globe and just as many threads of associated chatter on — appropriately — social media to discuss the impact of our favorite platforms on our lives.
But we’d be remiss to not address the ways in which social media has changed the game for businesses. Why do we love social media? Let us count the ways:
1. It lets us to get to know our customers in a way that wasn’t possible before… even if it is TMI sometimes.
2. It allows us talk directly to our customers in a more efficient and dynamic manner. Those conversations spur greater brand recognition and loyalty.
3. It gives us an outlet for the laughing baby videos that would otherwise be constrained to office email chains.
4. It’s offered us a concise means of curating conversation with hashtags that connect us with people we’d otherwise never know.
5. It’s totally transformed the way we all interact with video, democratizing marketing mediums that were once dominated by the heaviest spenders.
6. It saved us from SMS marketing gaining major prominence, for which everyone should be grateful.
7. It helped us find more meaningful ways to determine which content is working for us than Google’s algorithms.
8. It validated our vanity and made it socially acceptable by letting selfies become a thing.
9. It reminded us that weird brands are often some of the best brands.
10. It made us better by opening us up to direct public critique when the echo chamber in the office doesn’t save us from ourselves.
11. It shrunk this big ol’ world by creating communities that span the globe.
12. It found a way to bring talent from all over to the table for offices without boundaries.
13. It created a hive of business minds that learn and grow from one another.
14. It facilitated a smorgasbord of rich visual content that keeps us inspired and hungry.
15. It taught us how to have fun as marketers again.
We could probably keep going, but we won’t keep you from your festivities any longer. Go forth. Make merry. Be social.
Design Done Better
The easiest way to get affordable, high-quality custom logos, print design, web design and naming for your business.Learn How to Grow Your Business With Beautiful Design