Some consider it a chore and others love it, but it’s unavoidable for those that want to look great and presentable. Yes, we are talking about ‘Ironing’. Royal Philips Electronics invites industrial designers from around the world to participate in the 2010 Philips design competition. The theme of the competition is ironing using ‘Ironing Steam generators’.
Brief Product Description:
Steam generators consist of a conventional iron and a base. The iron is connected by a hose to a boiler (inside the base) in which steam is built up under high pressure, which is connected to a water tank. Steam generators produce significantly more powerful steam than regular steam irons, and therefore offer the following consumer benefits:
- It cuts your ironing time by half, and is effortless thanks to the powerful steam.
- It is very convenient, since consumers can iron for longer ironing sessions without having to refill the water tank.
- Since the steam is generated by a separate generator, the iron itself is very light and easier to use.
The primary goal of this design competition is to help design a truly innovative Steam generator for ‘2015’ with a focus on Philips’ brand promise of “sense and simplicity”.What do people expect from a Steam Generator?
- The concept design should suggest high performance: helping you to iron your clothes faster.
- The product should be very convenient to use and store.
- Think about product ergonomics, and the various components of the product such as iron carry lock, water tank, interface, anti-calc solutions plus hose and cord.
When developing designs think about how people will iron their clothes using the Ironing Steam Generator in the future. The design needs to be innovative, not just in terms of aesthetics but also ease of use, technology and materials.There are certain ‘must haves’ important for the design of new Steam Generators. To get you started:
Participants can familiarize themselves with an Ironing Steam Generator by clicking the following links:
- The new iron should be based on the sole plate design attached with this brief.
- The water tank is an essential part of the steam generator, the design, usage and handling of the tank should be intuitive and straight-forward.
- The Iron should be able to rest on its heel.
- Please include Philips logo somewhere on the Product.
(Please note this information’s sole purpose is to educate the participants about the product working and its features only.)What are we looking for?
Philips is looking for break-through designs which are advanced, distinctive, easy to experience and designed around people’s needs. It must be a true winner in the stores/ shelves. Please remember we are not looking for a ‘re-Design’ of the existing products(s), the awards will be granted to concepts showing a great deal of creativity: which are innovative but also feasible. Your entry should consist of designs for a new ‘iron’ accompanied by the ‘base’.
The three best designs will be produced as non-working mock-ups.Qualifications:
This competition is open to participants world-wide. You must be 18 years or older on or before the date of submission.Evaluation:
The submitted designs will be reviewed by a Jury consisting of international experts from Philips, operating in different areas of proficiency: business, technology and design.Design Criteria:
Each submitted entry will be evaluated based on the following factors:
Innovativeness, aesthetics, material selection, ease-of-use, feasibility and brand value integration. Submitting your entries:
Declaration of Results:
- You can submit up to three image files.
- The acceptable file format is GIF, JPG or PNG
- Resolution: Minimum 72dpi ~ Maximum 300dpi
- Design concepts will be presented to the jury in A3 size
- Please submit 3-D renderings of the final design along with the process
- Do not place names/identification/logos etc on the drawings/renderings.
- The size of each image(s) file should not exceed 2 MB
- Include a description of the idea. The description should consist of the design inspiration and usage scenarios.
- You can also submit a video clip to support your design. Please add an online link to the video clip with the design description, and please be sure that your video clip is private and not posted publicly.
The results of the competition will be declared in November 2010. The winners will be notified of the results by e-mail. All other participants will be notified by crowdSPRING on http://crowdspring.comCopyright:
Please follow this link to read the contract for this project.
For more information about Royal Philips Electronics, visit their website
Philips and crowdSPRING have partnered with Autodesk®, a world leader in 2D and 3D design software, to bring you this project. Thanks to Autodesk, the top 6 winners will receive free copies of Autodesk's industry-leading software.