The buyer added updates to the brief. Read them.
Do you have a desired website screen size?
This will be a responsive site. We want the design to work well for different devices.
How many pages do you need designed?
6 - nothing complicated
What is your industry?
Describe the target audience for your website design
We are an audio video rental company. Our audience includes anyone who needs to plan/host any kind of meeting or event for two to about three hundred people... wedding planners, event/meeting planners, restaurateurs, contractors, architects, sports club/event managers, parents, families having special event celebrations, continuing education groups, professional associations, medical sales, government agencies, houses of worship... We also have a sister company who provides audio, video and lighting services for larger events/venues.
What 3 things would you like to communicate to your audience through your website design
Professional & High Quality
Personal, Quality Service
Simplicity & Reliability
How is your company different from your competitors?
Customers love: our affordability - about half of what most venues charge for equipment rental; personal, quality service - no answering machines and we are attentive!; 24hr technical support; we do the planning for them - all they need is the size of the space and number of people (usually between 2-300 people); our ease-of-use - they call us, tell us their venue and group size, we connect them with everything they need, and equipment arrives at the venue the day before the event; equipment comes in custom cases with detailed custom instructions (we rarely do onsite setup - if you can connect a DVD player, you can set up our equipment); the custom cases mean the equipment just gets put back in the box - no packing required; they drop the case at the venue's desk or at the local post office and it will come back to us safely; and we have a 99% no-fail rate.
What website design styles do you like?
http://www.moluv.com/ - I like the lists a the bottom of this home page and it is very clean, but WAY too long to scroll down
http://www.angelvisiontech.com/ - kind of a neat intro
http://www.avconcepts.com/corporate-events/ - a competitor with a somewhat clean sitehttp://avadvantage.com/services.php - I like the layout and function of this site, but it's dark
http://www.theavcompany.net/ - a nice competitor site
http://www.pixelfarmdigital.com/ - a very clean site, but not very colorful
Ebay, amazon & pbs all have nice sites
What colors do you want to see in your website design?
We're pretty open, depending on the design. Simple, yet uniquely creative. We welcome incorporating other colors.
All files should be CMYK - not RGB.
We use a rich black vs. black for all our print material, so any black should be VERY black. (Rich black prints true black, while black prints slightly off-black. Rich black is Cyan 50%, Magenta 40%, Yellow 40% and Black 100%.)
Our green is: Cyan 73%, Magenta 0%, Yellow 100% and Black 0%. (FYI… if you need it, the darkest gray in our logo is Cyan 58%, Magenta 49%, Yellow 49% and Black 16%.)
Fonts should be done in a very dark gray vs. black.
What colors do you NOT want to see in your website design?
No RGB please
What adjectives should best describe your website design?
clean, easy to navigate, personal, elegant, visually appealing, contemporary, sleek, friendly, energetic, organic, high-tech, creative
What content must be included in the website design?
We will be focusing on building a community via social media and on creating a worry-free, trouble-free experience for our clients. Better quality and a much more-affordable price than our competitors. We make things easier for meeting/event planners. We offer a satisfaction guarantee and price matching - we would like to highlight these things.
Things that should be present on each page: 24/7 Technical Support - phone or chat; social media icon links; site search box; shopping cart; quick quote calculator
There should be 'Add to Cart' and 'Add to Quote' buttons beside every product.
We will have two different explainer videos that can be highlighted somewhere.
Many pages with have headings that, when clicked on, opens a paragraph directly beneath.
Home Page: Would like social media icons to be present, possibly a place for a testimonial... although they will have their own page, so it is not imperative.
Page A: A standard page with a large image and text. Services (A general paragraph about what our services are and how we can help them meet their needs.)
Page B: A layout for images with paragraphs of text - Our Core Team (pics of our core group of employees with a paragraph about each of them)
Page C: A products page - a list of products with pictures & descriptions - Accessories (cables, connectors, adapters, etc.)
Page D: A video player page with a list of videos to load - we have two explainer videos (one for corporate, one for individuals); we have several just fun videos; we have an entire grouping of how-to videos.
Page E: A cart/checkout page
Do you have additional requirements or links you want to share?
Our current website is rentquick.com, however, it is NOT a good representation of us. Still, it might be helpful to look at the video and products. We are updating/expanding our offerings, but it should give you an idea... the process is pretty much the same.
I am attaching our logo files and a draft of our new stationery... would be nice to incorporate the style somehow. Also, we often use a colored watermark version of our logo.
I'm also attaching a (very) rough site plan.
Our contact information is as follows:
1011 Linden Avenue (spell out avenue please)
Charlottesville, VA 22902-6241 (two spaces after VA - not one)
toll free: 888-326-0935
video: address to be determined
- 20-Sep-13 5:28 p.m. GMT
For the purpose of this contest, I have found scores to be relative as all the designers I have encountered are very talented. We use the score to identify front runners in this contest vs. the entries we like the best.
I try to be very proactive with my comments and scoring. However, there are three of us that determine the finalists and six of us who vote on the winners. As a result, I may add a comment and not score until the three of us can come together to make collective comments and scores.
Our old site is rentquick.com - we have no association with AVTechnik. They use avadvantage.com as a re-direct. We own most all the other domains for avadvantage (ie. .net, .us, .info, etc.) and will be using .net as our main page.
Would like the logo to have a strong presence, but not be overwhelming or garish.
All greens should be a hue of our company green.
We try to stay away from solid black on most things. If you are shooting for black, us a very, very dark gray.
Thank you for your time and participation, and good luck! Have a great weekend.
- 23-Sep-13 8:54 p.m. GMT
- It may seem like our scoring is too generous; however, anything that is a four is something we can definitely see using with a few minor tweaks. So far, we could be happy with any of our entries. Things we have noticed we like... we like the used of textures, decorative lines, shadows... we also like that everyone listened when we said clean, neat and professional. We would like to see some of the supporting content pages. Also, one of our competitors I mentioned in our brief (http://www.theavcompany.net/)... we haven't really seen anything that style. We are curious what something like that might look like for us. The obvious dislikes of that site to us are the all black... although it does serve a purpose, and that each supporting page requires you to scroll... it's fairly annoying.
Thank you for the submissions. They are all great, and are helping us really narrow down our likes and dislikes. We look forward to reviewing more. This winner of this contest should be very proud of themselves: this is going to be TOUGH! Good luck!
- 23-Sep-13 9:11 p.m. GMT
- A couple other design elements we have noticed liking... arrows that are just a sideways v, dots for scrolling images, translucent text boxes when layered on images. Hope all this information helps!
- 23-Sep-13 11:39 p.m. GMT
- I saw another website that looks really nice, although I would take all the info on the one page and break it into separate pages... I like the style of everything on it though. (This is an awesome thing, btw.)
I also found a twitter icon that was interesting. It's a blue ribbon with an upside-down V cut in the bottom, with a twitter bird impression on it... like a book mark, only a short one. I thought this might look neat in green and side-by-side with the others in the same style. Just a thought if that is useful to anyone. Just thought it was creative.
- 23-Sep-13 11:58 p.m. GMT
- I just got a message that asked if I could provide a link to the page. It was actually in an email I received. So I saved the image and put it in my dropbox. Here's the link...
Thankfully, I was still here. It's 8pm EST :)
Have a great night!
- 25-Sep-13 8:37 p.m. GMT
- Here is another site. The entire design is really nice, fluid, and conveys all the things we are hoping to convey. Click through a few pages there. You will get a good idea of feel. http://www.vvmc.com/about-vvmc/care-philosophy....
- 25-Sep-13 9:11 p.m. GMT
- I know I keep adding to the brief, but I know we were kind of rushing this project, due to time tables here, and it ends tomorrow afternoon. I wanted to tell you a few things we have identified we like more than others - we do not like large arrows for scrolling; we prefer the dots up top for changing the main image; we like the used of textures, gradients, shadows... anything that adds a little depth without being obnoxious; it is nice when elements other than the actual content of a page (ie bars, main images, etc.), span the entire width of the page; we like the integration of at least one other color. That's mostly what I can think of right now.
Let me just say, we have been overwhelmed by the number of quality entries. I don't think there is a single one we couldn't work with. Good luck. Hope all this helps!
- 27-Sep-13 1:51 p.m. GMT
- Hello everyone. My apologies for not getting back with you all yesterday... I was unexpectedly out of the office. I will TRY to finish scoring and comments today, but I am a little behind today. I want you to know, this is a VERY tough competition for us, and we REALLY appreciate everyone's time and submissions. THANK YOU!!!
- 3-Oct-13 8:49 p.m. GMT
- Thank you to everyone who submitted for this contest. I am sorry it has taken us so long to choose a winner. It's been quite the challenge because all of the entries were so good. I'm sorry you can't all win! I hope you will all submit for our future contests. Thank you again!