« Back to jobs
Apply for this position
Senior Software Engineer - Back End
Full-time - Chicago, IL, USA
We're looking for the kind of engineer that does it for the love of it. Maybe it's embarrassing how many Github repos you've created or are following. Maybe you've started a social network for Beanie Baby owners ... in 2013. Whatever, we won't judge. We're just excited that you tried.
As a senior engineer, you’ll have a huge impact on how we design, build and deliver our services to millions of people. We're looking for extraordinary talented engineers to join our team. Our site is seen by millions of people around the world and we’re focused on solving real problems. Your contributions will be immediate and far-reaching. This isn't the kind of gig where you're handed a to-do list from a PM - you'll help make the big decisions. You'll not only be developing the code, you'll also contribute to analysis, design, implementation, deployment, and maintenance. You'll be a thought leader and driving force for coding standards and automated testing.
Above all we’re looking for passionate individuals who enjoy what they do and seek to live balanced and happy lives.
If this sounds like you, read on...
This is you:
- 5+ years software engineering experience using Python in a high-traffic web production environment (or high-traffic personal projects).
- B.S. or M.S. in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics or other relevant technical field
- Experience designing and building scalable, distributed web applications using Memcache, Solr/ElasticSearch, Redis, Varnish, and more.
- Experience with NoSQL storage technologies including: BigTable, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
- Experience managing/leading small team of software engineers.
- Experience with scalable cloud services, especially EC2 and RDS on AWS.
- Experience working with a cloud based Unix stack, including nginx and uwsgi.
- Strong grasp of algorithms and data structures.
- Familiar with at least one Python web framework (Django, Pylons, etc.).
- Experience building and managing tools for automated testing and continuous deployment (e.g. Selenium).
- You prefer small, agile teams that strive to push regularly and leverage rigorous automated testing and continuous integration.
- Experience and passion for writing, maintaining and scaling automated tests.
- Familiarity with Selenium and continuous integration.
- Humble self-confidence and excellent communication skills.
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you.
- An entrepreneurial heart and a sense of humor.
These would be awesome but not mandatory:
- Experience managing distributed teams.
- Proven ability to build large, reliable, distributed and scalable infrastructure for a high traffic web application.
- Experience with systems automation and shell scripting.
- Active hacking/contribution to open source software.
What you will do:
- Lead our Development Team which is constituted of both remote and local engineers, be responsible for coordination and completion of projects and tasks, improve processes, monitor systems, and guarantee high standards of availability for our sites and systems.
- Write clean, elegant, practical, code - primarily in Python.
- Build tools to support continuous deployment and automated testing.
- Collaborate in making high-level, technology decisions, with a keen eye towards innovation.
- Stay up-to-date with technologies so you can suggest new coding practices, recommend architecture changes and optimize scalability.
- Get paid to do what you love.
This is crowdSPRING:
- Competitive compensation, including incentive and stock option plans, full benefits (health, vision, dental, vacation), and a 401(k) Investment Plan with matching contributions.
- A fast-paced, fun and creative environment with a sharp, motivated team and a great opportunity to learn, grow, and succeed.
- Your choice of technologies and software – MacBook Pro or a PC.
- Aeron chairs (your butt will thank you).
- Unlimited ping-pong, Rock Band and Pac-Man.
- Wear whatever you want.
We're looking for incredibly smart, extraordinarily interesting people and we're highly protective of our culture. This can be a pretty tough place to get into. If you’re used to a corporate environment, you will not be happy here. We’re looking for someone who is tired of building things for other people and wants to be part of building a company, not just software. If you've got the smarts and the creativity (and you don't plan on showing up to the interview in a suit), we’d love to hear from you. When applying, please send links to things you’ve built.